I've downloaded the installation program from the Adobe web site here:
Note the software and license keys are provided free, under the rationale of supporting existing customers now that the license server has been disabled.
Run the installer executable. When asked for the folder location to extract files, do not choose the default location (since you won't have permission to save files there). Instead you'll get an error like this.
A problem occurred while extracting some files. Check available space on yourFollow these steps to complete the installation successfully:
computer and the write privileges on the destination folder.
- Instead choose an alternate temporary location like C:\Acrobat8.
- After you're advised the Files are Ready, select the option to Launch Adobe Acrobat 8 and click Finish.
- I've left Adobe Reader as my default PDF viewer as this is a later version.
- Enter your personal details, and your serial number.
- Then choose the installation type. I've chosen a Typical installation.
- During installation, a dialog will complain that the file "AdobePDF.dll" is needed.
- Download the file "AdobePDF.dll_64" from the following Adobe support page (or extract that file from data1.cab as instructed).
- Rename the file to "AdobePDF.dll" and browse for that file in the installer.
After installation completes you will have version 8.0.0 active.
You can then proceed with applying patches to upgrade to version 8.3.1. The upgrade files are downloaded from the Adobe web site here:
The specific files required are 8.1 (English), 8.1.1, 8.1.2, 8.1.3, 8.1.5, 8.1.6, 8.1.7, 8.2, 8.2.2, 8.2.3, 8.2.5, 8.2.6, 8.3 and 8.3.1.
Install them in the correct order. You'll probably be requested to reboot multiple times. I ignored most of these requests when it became too time consuming and just rebooted after the last patch.
I've done some basic edits in Acrobat and so far it works perfectly for me.